27 October 2013

Banana and Pumpkin Bread

I'm still not bored of pumpkin, are you? If you are, I'm sorry but not sorry enough to stop, especially as I found tins of pumpkin purée in my local Tesco. So this weekend I thought I'd make use of those browning bananas in my kitchen because they are perfect for banana bread and how could I make that better? Why with pumpkin obviously. This recipe is a cup measured recipe, which in my book is the best type as long as you've got measuring cups, I was given these babes from a very good friend of mine and they have made cooking a total dream. Now I'm all I need are some equally adorable measuring spoons...
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1/4 cup of oil
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 cup of rye flour
  • 1 cup plain flour (Doves Farm of course)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
  • 2/3 cup of pumpkin purée
  • 50g chocolate chips
  • 50g seeds (I used pumpkin and sunflower but use whatever you prefer)
  • sprinkling of oats and sugar for the top
This is another recipe that is amazingly simple and yet oh so tasty. First, get yourself ready, oil a loaf tin and pre-heat the oven to 180C. Now mash the two bananas in a mixing bowl with a fork, then mash in the sugar and oil. Sprinkle in the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and both types of flour and give it a good mix until all of the dry ingredients become wet. Then get the pumpkin purée, chocolate chips and seeds in the bowl and keep stirring so that the mix is goes an orange colour and the chocolate and seeds are evenly mixed through the batter.

The batter is now ready to be eaten, wait, no, bake it (although if you do feel the need to lick the spoon, go for it, it does taste good). Pour the orange, pumpkin batter into your oiled loaf tin so that it's even then just sprinkle a few oats and some sugar on the top. Now you just need to get that tasty loaf in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until it's golden. I always do the cocktail stick test, just to be sure - stab the centre of the bread and if the cocktail stick comes out clean, your bread is ready to come out of the oven, cool on a wire rack and be eaten preferably with a good cuppa.

No comments:

Post a Comment